Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Kuih Bangkit



My first ever blog post!

I am submitting this post to Chinese New Year Delights 2013 hosted by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover.

Having never tried making Kuih Bangkit before, nor even eating it until I bought some from the shop to see what I was meant to be making, and not being Malaysian (but loving Malaysian food), I decided to make these for CNY and enter them in a competition!  A little bold (and odd), perhaps!

I used a recipe cobbled together from several sources, including Rasa Malaysia, Kimmy Cooking Pleasure and the Nonya Flavours book published by Star.

I couldn't seem to locate genuine arrowroot flour in Perth, Australia (most of it is actually just tapioca flour) so I couldn't go with the Nonya Flavours recipe pf arrowroot and cornflour.  I had some bought Kuih Bangkit made with tapioca flour that tasted good and melted in the mouth, but left a chalky dry feeling.  I had another brand that was made with sago flour that was very crunchy, less chalky, but didn't melt in the mouth - more like a standard western biscuit.  In the end I thought that half tapioca and half sago might be a good way to go (which was one of Kimmy's suggestions).

Some recipes had a little butter, some didn't.  I decided to leave it out.

So this was my recipe:

250g Tapioca flour
250g Sago Flour
5 Pandan leaves, chopped into small lengths
125g Icing sugar
175ml (approx) Coconut milk
2 Egg whites (extra small)
2 Eggs (whole) (extra small)

I used our own bantam eggs, which are very small compared to regular chook eggs.

First, I "cooked" the flours and pandan leaves over medium heat in a wok - until the pandan was very crispy and the flour seemed, well, "cooked".  I found it a little hard to judge the timing - but about 40 minutes.




Second, I sieved out the leaves and let the flour cool overnight.



Third, I creamed the sugar and eggs and egg whites together until creamy and thick (and a little yellow as our chook eggs are extra yellow because they eat lots of greens!)









Fourth, I added the coconut milk, mixed it some more, then slowly added the cooked and cooled flour a bit at a time until I got a dough mixture that was thick and not too sticky.  I needed the dough by hand for about 5 minutes, then let it rest for a while under a damp cloth.




Fifth, I made the dough into shapes using floured wooden kuih moulds (bought in Penang when on holidays).  I tried 2 sorts: tiny little animal shapes and a larger shape.  The animal shapes were very cute, but they were so small that it would have taken forever, so I swapped to the larger shapes after I had made a hundred or so (I may be exaggerating).









Sixth, I baked them till done, around 20 minutes for the small ones, 25 for the larger ones. I let them bake until just a little browner on the bottom.  






The Verdict:

Pretty good for a first attempt!  They looked great - the moulds created great shapes with lots of detail.  They were crisp and delicate, but didn't fall apart at all.  The larger biscuits cracked a little on the top - not sure why.

They tasted great.  They had a great "melt in the mouth" feel, without being very dry or chalky.  I'm not sure if the mix of sago and tapioca flour helped with this, but the texture was better than both the bought ones I tried, so perhaps it did.

I shall try again next CNY!




8 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Saw your blog link at Sonia's blog. I must say... Great efforts and your kuih bangkit look really good.

    Welcome to blogging! Hope to hear from you more in the future.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for the kind compliments Zoe! I will try and keep blogging, though I definitely won't be able to keep up the pace that you and many others set...

      Delete
  2. Hi! I loved reading your blog and am inspired to try to make kuih bangkit too!
    I'll be travelling to Penang in July - can you pls let me know where you bought your wooden moulds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trisha, many thanks for your kind comments!

      Sorry, I don’t remember exactly where we got the moulds from, but we got them from two different kitchen supply shops in George Town. One was on Lebuh Kimberley, I think. At a guess I would say it was between Jalan Sungai Ujong and Lebuh Carnarvon, on the north side of the street, but I might be wrong… I think I could find it again if I went back… I’m not quite sure where the other one was as we were taken there in a car (I also bought a very scary cleaver from this shop!), but not too far away.

      I think you will have no problem finding them somewhere if you just ask around a lot on the street. Might help if you had a picture of what you wanted.

      We are usually not at all into tours when we travel, but on this occasion we went on a Penang Private Tour, which is listed on the Rasa Malaysia website (see http://rasamalaysia.com/ and http://rasamalaysia.com/penang-private-tour-and-culinary-tour/) and it was totally fantastic. Not only was Bee, from Rasa Malaysia, great to deal with in organising it (and customising it and assisting with my gluten free food needs), her brother, CK, who took the tour, was totally great. He took us to the second shop I referred to as I put it on the list of things we wanted to do (“I want to buy a big carbon steel meat cleaver!”) and he just hunted it out. I found out about the other shop from just asking around. Anyway, if you want some great food experiences (like eating the best ever Assam Laksa in Balik Pulau (one of my daughter’s and my favourite meals ever!) or going to tiny Nyonya restaurants or visiting a shrimp paste / belacan factory or having the best black coffee imaginable then it may be worth considering. Was quite affordable for two days.

      Contact me again if you think you are going to have difficulties locating the moulds – I may be able to get some better leads from family/friends of friends who are from Penang.

      Have a great trip!

      Delete
  3. Hi,

    I have been trying to find sago flour in Perth and chanced upon your blog. Do you remember where you bought the sago flour from?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi
    I have bought sago flour from "Chan Bros Oriental Supermarket" (Unit 8 Marshall Rd, Myaree WA 6154, just off Leach Highway and near Bunnings) and also "Yee Seng Oriental Supermarket" (36 Hulme St, Myaree WA 6154, off Leach Highway near the Melville Subaru dealer). Both happen to be close to where live, so I haven't looked further afield. Yee Seng is a much bigger store, but both have a good range of products like this.
    I can check on the weekend if they have it in stock if you are a long way from Myaree.
    Let me know how you get on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi
    No worries. I can stop by both places on Saturday. Many thanks for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw some at Yee Seng today. Not where the other baking flours are but with some other dry goods directly below where the teas are. I couldn't see any at Chan's, but maybe it was in an odd place there too. I hope you found some. It seems much less common than I'd thought it would be...

      Delete